FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What am I missing or doing wrong?
#65821 03/09/24 03:10 PM
OP Offline

Hope you can help!

Have just taken photo of husband on Samsung Galaxy Pad. Now I need to get it over to this Mac for cropping, sizing and offering to HMG's passport service.

I've downloaded and installed Android File Transfer* on this Mac (which is Ventura 13.6.1).
I've connected Samsung to this Mac with USB cable (which is used to recharge it, so I know the cable works).

Double click on *AFT , it finds the Samsung but shows no files just empty folders.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Many thanks for any helpful suggestions.

ps. We have now had two unsuccessful attempts to get him photo'd at Photo Booths in supermarkets, but each time they say "this might not be acceptable to Passport Office". Sigh.

Re: What am I missing or doing wrong?
Bensheim #65838 03/10/24 10:21 AM

On my Google phone: Settings/Connected devices/USB/Use USB for File transfer

Any help?

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Bensheim #65844 03/10/24 07:20 PM

Most major U.S. Post Offices have a passport office that will take pictures as well. Start here. Fill in your zip code and check the box labeled "Photo ON-SITE" then press Search. Reservations are recommended and in some locations required.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65856 03/11/24 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Most major U.S. Post Offices have a passport office that will take pictures as well. Start here. Fill in your zip code and check the box labeled "Photo ON-SITE" then press Search. Reservations are recommended and in some locations required.

Oops. I believe she is not in the U.S. but is in the U.K.

However, there may be office supply stores over there that do passport photos.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #65859 03/11/24 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L

blush Oops is right blush
It is just that I have been in the same situation recently and this was such a neat solution.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #65861 03/11/24 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by joemikeb
Originally Posted by Ira L

blush Oops is right blush
It is just that I have been in the same situation recently and this was such a neat solution.
It worked out great for me!

The lady forgot to charge me for the photo, and I reminded her, and she said "Oh, thanks," and still didn't charge me.

I wonder if the Post Office will do a photo if you're not doing it along with a passport application, but in any case, Walgreens does passport photos.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65866 03/11/24 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
I wonder if the Post Office will do a photo if you're not doing it along with a passport application, but in any case, Walgreens does passport photos.
According to the sign on the door to the passport office at the Main P.O. here, an emphatic NO!

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #65877 03/12/24 06:17 PM
OP Offline

As Ira notes, I'm in the UK, not America.

Attempts to get husband passport photo so far:

1. Supermarket photobooth 10 miles east of here. It would not take the photo at all.

2. Supermarket photobooth 10 miles west of here. It had three attempts then yielded one marked "This will probably NOT be acceptable to UK passport office". It has clipped the top of his head and bottom of his chin = unacceptable.

3. I took decent photo with Samsung Galaxy pad. However, I could NOT transfer it to this Mac.

4. Imaginatively, I put the Samsung face down in the scanner and scanned the decent photo. Imported it to iPhoto. HOWEVER, it turned the photo into Sepia. I have no idea why. I checked: UK passport photos have to be in full colour.

5. Our neighbour/handyman will come here with a sheet of white paper, and take a photo of him on his smartphone then email it to us. (Sheet of white paper is because you HAVE TO HAVE a white background.)

6. If that also fails, the last redoubt is the photographer in town.

If that also fails (it's the hope I can't stand...) then no more passports for him. Fortunately, passports are not required to fly to other parts of the United Kingdom. Allegedly. Would you test that at check-in?

To other replies further down this thread which I can't see now I'm in reply mode: Walgreens is American; some Post Offices take photos here but not this one, and in any case they'll only take a photo if you hand the entire passport renewal palaver over to them = charging a lot more

Bensheim #65880 03/12/24 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bensheim
3. I took decent photo with Samsung Galaxy pad. However, I could NOT transfer it to this Mac.

Are you unable to adjust the settings on your Galaxy tablet? The default when you plug it into a Mac is to charge the tablet. You have to go into the tablet settings to tell it to mount as a drive via Android file transfer.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #65881 03/12/24 07:39 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted by freelance

Are you unable to adjust the settings on your Galaxy tablet? The default when you plug it into a Mac is to charge the tablet. You have to go into the tablet settings to tell it to mount as a drive via Android file transfer.

Hi Freelance, and thanks for your interest.

TBH I got bored with twiddling with endless endless settings on the Galaxy tab. That's a thing I hate about new technology: you can so easily waste hours of your life (which you'll never get back, and could have spend that time doing things which you actually enjoy doing) going down multiple internet rabbit-holes, and in the end getting nowhere.

I had to switch on multiple notifications, and then of course the tablet constantly alerted me to things which were of zero interest, so more time was wasted in switching them off again.

Lesson learned: do NOT take photos with your pad unless you want to show the actual pad to someone else. They are stuck there for Ever.

Use your digital camera instead - at least that talks to the Mac and are easily transferred.

Bensheim #65892 03/13/24 10:03 PM

I had to switch on multiple notifications, and then of course the tablet constantly alerted me to things which were of zero interest, so more time was wasted in switching them off again.

Lesson learned: do NOT take photos with your pad unless you want to show the actual pad to someone else. They are stuck there for Ever.

Use your digital camera instead - at least that talks to the Mac and are easily transferred.
If I take a photo on my iPad, it shows up in Photos on my iPhone and Mac after a few minutes wait or if I am in a hurry I can AirDrop it manually, which of course doesn't help you at the moment. I have never knowingly seen, much less used, a Galaxy tablet, but it occurs to me you might be able to send the photos as an email attachment and transfer the image that way.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/13/24 10:05 PM.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard