FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
money-saving Safari extension
#65299 12/13/23 05:30 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I have been using PayPal Honey for Safari for a few weeks and have saved quite a bit of money. It is available as a Safari extension and is free.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: money-saving Safari extension
jchuzi #65300 12/13/23 06:33 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Just to add to the original post, this extension searches for coupons that you might not otherwise find. I just ordered some cat food and Honey came up with a $10 coupon that was instantly applied to my total.å

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #65306 12/14/23 05:54 PM

There are a myriad of extensions of this type. Honey and Rakuten (formerly eBates) seem to be the two most popular. And yes, they are fairly passive to use and do what they claim without subjecting the user to spam and other unwanted intrusions.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #65308 12/14/23 08:57 PM

Thanks for mentioning eBates. I couldn't think of its name.

I used it for a while and saved a few bucks, but I consistently forgot that I had it, and remembering after the fact was more annoying than the minimal amounts I saved when I did remember were worth, so I trashed it.

I now just check Amazon and eBay for the best price, and I'm happy. (I share an Amazon Prime account with my daughter, and the free, QUICK delivery is worth every penny it costs me.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #65318 12/15/23 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by artie505
Thanks for mentioning eBates. I couldn't think of its name.

I used it for a while and saved a few bucks, but I consistently forgot that I had it, and remembering after the fact was more annoying than the minimal amounts I saved when I did remember were worth, so I trashed it.

I now just check Amazon and eBay for the best price, and I'm happy. (I share an Amazon Prime account with my daughter, and the free, QUICK delivery is worth every penny it costs me.)

Not to talk you out of something with which you are happy, but just so other potential users know, the Rakuten version of eBates is passive. That is, when you visit a web site it will tell you what discounts are available. The user can choose to use them or not. This type of interface was not the case with the old eBates.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #65320 12/15/23 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ira L
Not to talk you out of something with which you are happy, but just so other potential users know, the Rakuten version of eBates is passive. That is, when you visit a web site it will tell you what discounts are available. The user can choose to use them or not. This type of interface was not the case with the old eBates.
Thanks for the updated info.

I do most of my purchasing on Amazon and eBay, and the former isn't included, and the latter returns only "up to 1%," so if they're still paying out when you reach $5 , it'll be years before I get a check, if ever.

On the other hand, I see that if you refer someone and they spend $30 within 90 days, you each get $30, so I'll try to remember that and have my daughter refer me should I ever plan on being a "big" spender. <https://www.rakuten.com/referral/default.do>

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard