Home
Posted By: artie505 Now, this is curious... - 04/15/11 10:45 PM
Safari has, as far as I've ever seen, shown a generic (I assume it's) UBB icon in both its address bar and history as respects FTM, but today, in history (I guess address bar, too, but I didn't notice) I saw one instance of the actual FTM icon.

Which should I actually be seeing?
Posted By: alternaut Re: Now, this is curious... - 04/15/11 11:15 PM
FTM's Home page sports the FTM favicon since mid-August 2010, but the Forums show the generic UBB one. I suspect the latter is a default that's difficult to change... If you see something else, please elaborate. laugh
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 04/15/11 11:25 PM
Got it!

I never visit FTM's home page so I was unaware of its favicon.

What I saw was the FTM favicon associated with Rita's current mail thread, and directly beneath it in Safari's history was the same thread with the UBB favicon.

I, of course, can't duplicate the phenomena, which I copied to my clipboard for uploading and erased...doh!
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Now, this is curious... - 04/18/11 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: alternaut
FTM's Home page sports the FTM favicon since mid-August 2010, but the Forums show the generic UBB one. I suspect the latter is a default that's difficult to change... If you see something else, please elaborate. laugh

Shouldn't be that difficult to change.

Just copy:
http://www.finetunedmac.com/favicon.ico

to:
http://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/images/general/default/favicon.ico
Posted By: tacit Re: Now, this is curious... - 04/30/11 07:08 PM
Done! You should now see the FTM favicon everywhere, at least assuming you clear Safari's favicon cache. smile
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 04/30/11 08:17 PM
Got it! cool

Thanks, tacit. smile
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 04/30/11 09:15 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Kevin. smile
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Now, this is curious... - 05/02/11 05:42 AM
Sure thing.
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Now, this is curious... - 05/10/11 04:26 PM
Tacit,

I thought the favicon looks a bit chunky, so I whipped up a new one from the main page logo. It's softer/smoother, but resembles the main page logo more and has transparency (contains 32x32 24/8 bit & 16x16 24/8 bit). See if you like it better.... or not. smile

You can download it here:
http://development.rhubarbproductions.com/finetunedmac/
Posted By: tacit Re: Now, this is curious... - 05/10/11 05:35 PM
Cool! I do like it.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 05/10/11 06:39 PM
Looks great to me! Thanks, Kevin. cool
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 05/10/11 07:37 PM
Looks great in my address bar!

Can you make it self-propogating? laugh
Posted By: tacit Re: Now, this is curious... - 05/10/11 09:35 PM
You mean without dumping the Safari favicon cache? I've never found a good way to do that. You can force Safari to update the favicon manually by going to

and hitting the Reload button after the favicon comes up, but I don't know an automatic way to get Safari to refresh its cache. Safari's kinda stubborn like that.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 05/10/11 09:50 PM
Nah... I meant can you make it spread to other Macs? grin

(As far as I can tell/remember, the new favicon appeared in my address bar without my doing anything to encourage it.)
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/02/11 10:26 AM
Originally Posted By: tacit
Done! You should now see the FTM favicon everywhere, at least assuming you clear Safari's favicon cache. smile

Undone!

Did the custom favicon revert to default as a result of the UBB.threads update, or, as it seems to me, is this something that happened in the last day, if not less?
Posted By: tacit Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/02/11 06:09 PM
I just noticed the icon changing myself. I think that it reverted during the most recent security update (from 7.5.6p1 to 75.6p2--UBB released a security update for the security update).

One of the more frustrating aspects of UBB.threads is that there isn't a clean, easy way to preserve whatever customizations you make when you do an update. WordPress makes it easy (in fact, it's automatic) to do updates without losing any of your customizations; I wish more software worked the way it does.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/03/11 09:47 AM
I still see the generic favicon, even after clearing Safari's website icon cache with "Reset Safari;" should I?
Posted By: tacit Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/03/11 06:26 PM
I am seeing the correct favicon in Firefox and Chrome, but still seeing the generic one in Safari even after resetting. Safari is a bit weird in the way it caches favicons, I've noticed.
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/03/11 06:38 PM
When I download the icon at:

It's the UBB icon as viewed in Preview. It needs to be replaced here as before so it can appear in the forums.
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/03/11 06:40 PM
Scratch what I just said. After emptying the cache the download does have the icon it. So it was feeding me that cached one even though I was option-clicking to download it.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/03/11 07:21 PM
I am seeing the correct favicon in Firefox and Chrome, but still seeing the generic one in Safari even after resetting. Safari is a bit weird in the way it caches favicons, I've noticed.

I just cleared Safari's icon cache again and clicked on Kevin's link...not certain in which order, though, and somehow managed to engineer the FTM favicon back into my Safari address bar.

But I just noticed that it's the fuzzy one again, not the hard-edged version that Kevin cobbled up.

Edit: Hmmm... Kevin's linked page displays the hard-edged favicon in its address bar.
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/03/11 07:52 PM
Actually I cobled up the fuzzy one becuase the hard edge one was too chunky looking.

This is the one that should be copied to:

The one that's there now appears to be the old mac face.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/04/11 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Kevin M. Dean
Actually I cobled up the fuzzy one becuase the hard edge one was too chunky looking.

This is the one that should be copied to:

The one that's there now appears to be the old mac face.

Going back to your post #15519, this is the icon you cobbled up, and it's the icon I was seeing until the update, but it's not the icon I'm seeing in my address bar now.
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/04/11 03:02 PM
Correct, that's basically what I was saying. Maybe confused by me saying "This is the one" after the link I was referring to.
Posted By: tacit Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/04/11 09:57 PM
I've copied that favicon into the forums/images/general/default, but I'm still seeing the cached UPP icon in Safari, even after flushing caches and restarting Safari. Grr.
Posted By: Kevin M. Dean Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/04/11 10:05 PM
I was stuck with the UBB logo but now it's appearing for me. Sometimes it just updates on its own after a day or so. Maybe Safari restricts when it checks for new icons so it's not constantly re-downloading them and replacing them in the database.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/04/11 10:05 PM
I've copied that favicon into the forums/images/general/default, but I'm still seeing the cached UPP icon in Safari, even after flushing caches and restarting Safari. Grr.

I flushed and quit, and I've got the correct favicon. smile
Posted By: alternaut Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/04/11 10:15 PM
FWIW, today the FTM favicon showed up again here after startup. It wouldn't yesterday, despite repeated cache flushing.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/04/11 10:21 PM
FWIW, today the FTM favicon showed up again here after startup. It wouldn't yesterday, despite repeated cache flushing.

Got me beat... My FTM favicon changed from UBB to fuzzy to the one I see now in the course of 27 hours.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/04/11 10:58 PM
I can't say whether it's 'fuzzy' or your 'one I see now', only that it's FTM instead of UBB.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/05/11 01:38 AM
I can't say whether it's 'fuzzy' or your 'one I see now', only that it's FTM instead of UBB.

If you can't clearly see that it's fuzzy, I'll say that you're seeing the correct one.

You can verify that by clicking on Kevin's link.
Posted By: alternaut Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/05/11 03:06 AM
Looks like I have the 'fuzzy' one, similar to the one you posted on Imageshack.
Posted By: artie505 Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/05/11 04:15 PM
Looks like I have the 'fuzzy' one, similar to the one you posted on Imageshack.

Strange how such a seemingly easy transition is not cooperating.
Posted By: tacit Re: Now, this is curious... - 10/05/11 05:58 PM
Tell me about it! I'm *still* seeing the generic UBB icon.
© FineTunedMac